Best Chance Against Corona is by Not Getting This Infection
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Corona Virus Disease- 2019 (COVID-19) is caused by a corona virus, named SARS CoV2. It started in China in late 2019 and has rapidly spread all over the world, including India.
COVID-19 is highly contagious
It is highly contagious and spreads from person-to-person through aerosols (generated from the infected persons while sneezing or talking) or fomites (that contaminate various surfaces such as tables, door handles, etc).
There is no vaccine against COVID-19
Research is being done in many parts of the world to find a vaccine to prevent it or medicine to cure it. On vaccine front, there has been no success till date. There is no vaccine to prevent COVID-19.
There is no effective treatment for COVID-19
Regarding treatments, multiple drugs have been claimed to offer, “cure”, however, no drug, offers cure in most or all patients. HCQ works only in mild cases of COVID-19 and there is no benefit in severely affected cases. Remdesivir also has partial efficacy, and moreover, it is not yet available in India. Dexamethasone, which was widely reported recently, also has limited role to play. In helps only in the most severe cases of COVID-19, which require mechanical ventilation. It may prevent only 1 in 8 deaths in patients on mechanical ventilator, and only 1 in 25 deaths in patients requiring oxygen treatment.
There is severe shortage of manpower, hospital beds and ICU rooms
Despite ramping up healthcare infrastructure, there is severe shortage of doctors and nurses. Hospital and ICU beds are also inadequate, especially in larger cities. So, there is a possibility that a patient may not get a bed, or if he gets a bed, ICU room or a ventilator may not be available. Also, if wards and ICUs run with full occupancy, the quality of care may not be the best.
So, preventing corona remains the best bet
Prevention of the COVID-19 is in our hands, as it can spread from one human to another. There are no known animal reservoirs for this virus. The virus can enter through nose, mouth or eyes.
What steps can be taken to prevent COVID-19
1. Avoid socialising- strict NO: to parties, gossiping in groups, public gathering, eating out in restaurants, watching movies in movie theaters, contact sports, classroom education, etc.
2. Do not step out of home, unless essential,
3. At workplace- avoid coffee breaks in groups, avoid having lunches in groups, avoid physical meetings as much as possible, maintain adequate distancing between desks,
4. Avoid public transport as much as possible,
5. Cover face with mask or cloth, when in public,
6. Wash hands frequently, when outdoors (with sanitizer or soap/water)
7. If you develop fever, cough, breathing difficulty, loss of taste/smell, etc, self-isolate yourself and consult a doctor.